Thursday, September 28, 2006

RCIA classes

For those of you who don't know, my husband is Catholic. I'm Lutheran. My faith has waivered some over the years, particularly after my mother's death in 1992, but I've always held onto it. I had to during my first marriage. I had to believe that I'd get out of the situation ahead of where I started it. And I have, despite the loss of my son. I'm in a better place.

Anyway, I've begun taking Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) classes at the church my husband belongs to. We both believe our daughter should be raised with a religious foundation. My husband is more deep with his Catholic faith than I am with my Lutheran. So, I'm taking these classes, exploring the option of converting. I already know I have issues with the sacrament of confession. I've been raised I've got a direct link to God, I don't need to use a go between to confess and ask for forgiveness.

So, tonight, as an introductory lesson we were given a brief overview of the various religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, etc. And the discussion came up as to whether Islam's are correct in waging their holy war against Christians. Is there different versions of the truth? Christians believe Islam is wrong, Islam believes vice versa. Which is correct? Is it possible that all are correct? Or is there only one absolute truth?

The priest seemed to imply that there was only one truth, but I don't know that I believe that. Aren't there different shades of truth even among Christians.

My ex tried to tell me that God wouldn't forgive me for divorcing him. But wasn't the safety and well being of my children an important factor in the equation? Would God have wanted me to sit there while drug dealers were knocking on my door looking for my ex? While cops came to my house at 4am, harassing me because they didn't believe my ex no longer lived at our house? Do I feel bad that I divorced my ex. Yes, I can't say how badly I feel for that, because I truly intended to keep my word when I made that promise to God and in front of 100+ witnesses to love, honor and cherish him.

I plan on talking to my husband about the issue of complete truth over the weekend, but he's sleeping now and it's heavy on my mind. If one class into this I'm already having doubts I don't know if I can cast aside I fear I'm doomed!

That's my ramble for the evening. I'm sure I'll have more next week after class. Night!

1 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen said...

Good luck on this one. I've found it's impossible to talk to the truly devout Catholics about the mistakes in their beliefs.

Monday, November 20, 2006 at 3:30:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home