Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Favre has plenty left in the tank

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7471296

Favre has plenty left in the tank

Alex Marvez / FOXSports.com
Posted: 12 hours ago

Sorry, Packers fans. Brett Favre isn't ready to announce his plans for 2008 quite yet.

But judging by the quarterback's comments and energetic tone during a Tuesday conference call with Detroit Lions media, Favre is clearly open to returning for an 18th NFL season.

"If the season was over today, I could look in the mirror and say, 'You know what? You can play,'" Favre said. "You don't have to say, 'I think I can' You know you can.

"Physically for the most part, I feel fine. I don't do some of the things I used to do quite as well. I have to envision next year that would be a little worse. There are a lot of factors, but I'm enjoying the ride. I don't want to stop here."

How long that ride lasts could heavily contribute to whether the 38-year-old Favre comes back. Green Bay (9-1) can take a commanding NFC North lead and another step toward securing a first-round playoff bye with a road victory Thursday against Detroit (6-4).

If the Packers keep winning, Favre appears more inclined to stay.

"Where we go from here defines a lot of things," said Favre, who isn't expected to make an official decision until after the season ends.

One of the reasons Favre announced plans to continue playing in 2007 so much quicker than in 2006 was the hope he received from last year's 8-8 finish. Favre admits he was still somewhat skeptical about Green Bay's prospects, but a supporting cast quickly developing under second-year head coach Mike McCarthy helped alleviate those concerns.

Favre no longer has to depend so heavily on wide receiver Donald Driver. He is still Favre's favorite target, but Driver has 20.2 percent of Green Bay's overall receptions compared to 26.3 last season.

Favre is turning more to young wideouts James Jones (35 catches) and Greg Jennings, who has four touchdown catches of 40-plus yards. The tight end also is a factor once again. Donald Lee and Bubba Franks have combined for 52 catches and six scores through 10 games; Green Bay's tight ends caught 56 passes and two touchdowns all of last season.

"They're good, but Brett is making those guys so much better," Lions safety Kenoy Kennedy said after Tuesday's practice. "If it's his last year or he's convincing himself he wants to play 20 more years, I don't know. He's on fire right now."

Favre also has greatly reduced the mistakes that generated 47 interceptions the previous two seasons. He has only eight this year with 16 touchdown passes, a 67.6 completion percentage and his highest quarterback rating (96.2) since 1995.

"Favre is managing the game better and playing within the offense more," one NFC personnel director said. "He takes what the defense gives him and is much more patient. He will still take chances but has cut down on his negative plays. (McCarthy) has done a great job reigning him in and it has paid huge dividends."

Said Favre: "One of the first things I write in my notes every week is, 'I don't have to win it myself. Don't put yourself or your team in a bind. Your defense and special teams can bail you out. Play it on a cautious, guarded basis. When you have a realistic shot, take a chance.'"

As the Packers have gotten off to their best start since 1962, Favre has continued his assault on the NFL's record book. Favre's most heralded accomplishment this season was breaking Dan Marino's mark of 420 touchdown passes, which he seems almost apologetic for doing.

"I told Marino this earlier in the year: 'I never considered myself in the same league as you and I never will,'" Favre allowed.

But those statistical achievements — combined with his return to form — have given Favre piece of mind even if this is his final go-around.

"I'm well aware of what people were saying the last couple of years," Favre said of criticism about his play in recent seasons. "I gave them every reason to say things (like) maybe he should retire or whatever.

"But I'm one of the few guys who can say individually I far exceeded every goal I ever set out ... I don't feel I have to come back to prove anything. I'm here because I love to play. I still think I can play at a high level and help this team win.

"If it doesn't work out and I walk away, hey, it's been a pretty good ride."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home