Friday, March 23, 2007

Little Girls Getting Grown Up...

My daughter has been asked to prom by the senior guy she's been spending time with - in school up until now. They met during the school's theatrical production and since then he's been sitting with her at lunch, meeting her at her locker, walking her to class, etc.

I'm thrilled for her, of course, but there's a part of me that sure wishes they'd started out with something a little smaller for a first date - HER first date. And, I guess, now that the ice of a date has been broken maybe he will ask her out for something between now and then.

She has her jaw surgery this coming Tuesday. It's corrective and part of her orthodontics, correcting her underbite. Six weeks of no solid foods, though. At least they don't wire jaws shut anymore, that would kind of suck for prom pictures. I just hope the swelling is done by prom (3 weeks after surgery).

The papers for her court appearance came today, from the incident earlier in the month I eluded to *heh* My cousin, who's the state's attorney here, seems to think she'll get community service or something and as long as she completes it she won't even have this on her record. I hope so, but I also hope that she learned something and won't do this again.

(This incident along with information on my step-dad's very sudden passing were writting about in my LJ, you can read the post here if you'd like: http://apckrfan2.livejournal.com/740.html

I told her that I won't forbid her from seeing the friend she was with when the situation occurred. I know from personal experience the more my mother said "No" to somebody I wanted to hang with, the more I wanted to hang with them and lying ensued. I really don't want her to feel she has to lie to me. I'd rather know where she is and who's she's with even if I don't care for the person. I did suggest, however, that if what happened was the type of thing her friend encouraged her to do or brought out of her, she might want to rethink who her friends are.

Overall, she's a good kid. She & my husband butt heads sometimes, but my step-dad and I did, too. We were both stubborn and testing our respective limits. I'd never had a steady dad figure before my mom married him when I was 16. Stephanie hasn't really either. Overall, I just let them sort through things unless they both piss me off then I tell them both to shut up. This doesn't happen often, but when it does it's usually at Sunday dinner when we're trying to have a nice meal. I don't like bickering at the dinner table, might as well not eat together.

Anyway, have a good weekend!
Susan

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home